Friday, October 24, 2014

Prayers in the Psalms


This will be a little different then the other posts. This will be a collection of Psalms I have found while perusing the book of Psalms. I will give the reference and a verse (or two) that particularly stuck out. I pray that you be encouraged to spend some time reading them.

(For the sake of continuity, I will be sticking with the ESV)

Psalm 3 -Psalm 3:3
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me,
    my glory, and the lifter of my head.

Psalm 4 - Psalm 4:1
Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
    You have given me relief when I was in distress.
    Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!

Psalm 5 - Psalm 5:2
Give attention to the sound of my cry,
    my King and my God,
    for to you do I pray.

Psalm 6 - Psalm 6:9
The Lord has heard my plea;
    the Lord accepts my prayer.

Psalm 12 - Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words,
    like silver refined in a furnace on the ground,
    purified seven times.

Psalm 16 - Psalm 16:11
You make known to me the path of life;
    in your presence there is fullness of joy;
    at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Psalm 17 - Psalm 17:8
Keep me as the apple of your eye;
    hide me in the shadow of your wings

Psalm 25 - Psalm 25:4-5
Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
    teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,
    for you are the God of my salvation;
    for you I wait all the day long.

Psalm 27 - Psalm 27:14
Wait for the Lord;
    be strong, and let your heart take courage;
    wait for the Lord!

Psalm 36 - Psalm 36:5-6
Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens,
    your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the mountains of God;
    your judgments are like the great deep;
    man and beast you save, O Lord.

Psalm 39 - Psalm 39:12
Hear my prayer, O Lord,
    and give ear to my cry;
    hold not your peace at my tears!
For I am a sojourner with you,
    a guest, like all my fathers.

Psalm 40 - Psalm 40:3
He put a new song in my mouth,
    a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear,
    and put their trust in the Lord.

Psalm 42 - Psalm 42:8
By day the Lord commands his steadfast love,
    and at night his song is with me,
    a prayer to the God of my life.

Psalm 51 - Psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
    and renew a right spirit within me.

Psalm 54 - Psalm 54:4
Behold, God is my helper;
    the Lord is the upholder of my life.

Psalm 55 - Psalm 55:22
Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.

Psalm 56 - Psalm 56:3-4
When I am afraid,
    put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
    in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
    What can flesh do to me?

Psalm 57 - Psalm 57:9-11
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
    I will sing praises to you among the nations.
For your steadfast love is great to the heavens,
    your faithfulness to the clouds.
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
    Let your glory be over all the earth!

Psalm 59 - Psalm 59:16-17
But I will sing of your strength;
    I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.
For you have been to me a fortress
    and a refuge in the day of my distress.
O my Strength, I will sing praises to you,
    for you, O God, are my fortress,
    the God who shows me steadfast love.

Psalm 61 - Psalm 61:1
Hear my cry, O God,
 listen to my prayer

Psalm 64 - Psalm 64:10
Let the righteous one rejoice in the Lord
    and take refuge in him!
Let all the upright in heart exult!

Psalm 66 - Psalm 66:19-20
But truly God has listened;
    he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God,
    because he has not rejected my prayer
    or removed his steadfast love from me!

Psalm 67 - Psalm 67:1
May God be gracious to us and bless us
    and make his face to shine upon us

Psalm 70 - Psalm 70:1
Make haste, O God, to deliver me!
    Lord, make haste to help me!

Psalm 84 - Psalm 84:2, 10, 12
My soul longs, yes, faints
    for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and flesh sing for joy
    to the living God.

For a day in your courts is better
    than a thousand elsewhere.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
    than dwell in the tents of wickedness.

Lord of hosts,
    blessed is the one who trusts in you!

Psalm 85 - Psalm 85:10-11
Steadfast love and faithfulness meet;
    righteousness and peace kiss each other.
Faithfulness springs up from the ground,
    and righteousness looks down from the sky.

Psalm 86 - Psalm 86:6
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;
    listen to my plea for grace.

Psalm 90 - Psalm 90:17
Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us,
    and establish the work of our hands upon us;
    yes, establish the work of our hands!

Psalm 102 - Psalm 102:1
Hear my prayer, O Lord;
let my cry come to you!

Psalm 109 - Psalm 109:4
In return for my love they accuse me,
    but I give myself to prayer.

Psalm 120 - Psalm 120:1
In my distress I called to the Lord,
    and he answered me.

Psalm 123 - Psalm 123:1
To you I lift up my eyes,
    O you who are enthroned in the heavens!

Psalm 139 - Psalm 139:4
Even before a word is on my tongue,
    behold, O Lordyou know it altogether.

Psalm 143 - Psalm 143:8
Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love,
    for in you I trust.
Make me know the way I should go,
    for to you I lift up my soul.

Psalm 144 - Psalm 144:4
Man is like a breath;
    his days are like a passing shadow.



No comments:

Post a Comment