Monday, August 17, 2015

10 Series Homeschoolers Read - A Blogiversary post!

Whoa! 3 years! Ive had my blog for 3 years! Its hard to believe for me! I'm so glad Ive stuck it out this long! Every year, since day one, on my blog-iversary, I post something about homeschooling/homeschoolers!

The very first post on my blog was: 4 Myths About Homeschooling!
The 1st year Anniversary, I posted: 100 Things Homeschoolers Love!
The 2nd year Anniversary I posted: The Homeschooler's "Rap"!

This year, without further ado, we shall discuss 10 Series Homeschoolers read!


1. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Homeschoolers love Lord of the Rings! (and of course the Hobbit as well) I read them through for the first time a couple summers ago, and loved them! Ive read through them a couple times since!


2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

You can't have Middle-Earth without Narnia! My Dad read these to me when I was little, and when we were reading "The Silver Chair", I drew a picture of the Marshwiggle, and Jill, and so on, on a sticky note. We kept the picture in the book!


3. The Sugar Creek Gang by Paul Hutchens

I must confess, I haven't read these, but my Dad did to my sisters! They love the Sugar Creek Gang! In fact, they are currently watching on of the Sugar Creek Gang movies they got out from the Church library yesterday. They often pretend to be the Sugar Creek Gang as well. Its always an honor to be Circus!




4. The Hardy Boys by Franklin W. Dixon

My Mom and I are proud to say that we completed my Dad's collection of the original Hardy Boys  a few years ago! I have read every single one of them, and love them! My sisters just started reading them with Dad. I think they are gonna start the 2nd or 3rd book tonight.


5. Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene

You can't have the Hardy Boys without Nancy Drew! This is my pitiful collection of Nancy Drew. I must confess I like the Hardy Boys better, even though they were both written by Edward Stratemeyer. I actually read an interesting biography on him a couple years ago. The funniest story I read in it was when his son was old enough to read them, he would borrow the books from his friends and eagerly devour them! One day, his son came into his office, and gasped when he saw the rows of books that his father had written. He didn't know until that point that his father was the author!


6. Encyclopedia Brown by Donald J. Sobol

I devoured these as a kid! I loved trying to figure out who did the crime, what happened, and seeing if I was right. I didn't always figure it out, but it sure was lots of fun! I also enjoyed rereading them and seeing if I can remember what happened in the end without peeking at the answers. Encyclopedia Brown was amazing in my opinion!


7. The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner

Ah The Boxcar Children! I loved reading about their adventures with their Grandfather! My Dad read these to my sisters, and they gobbled them up! I especially loved the Schoolhouse Mystery (#10). Of course the first one is the most loved! I remember seeing my friend have them, and being quite intrigued as a kid.


8. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I have read these too many times to count! And of course, the true avid homeschooling readers know that there isn't just the Little House series but there the series about Laura's Great Grandma, Grandma, Mom, and Daughter!


I especially enjoyed the series about her Great Grandmother in Scotland!


9. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

My Mom read this to me as a kid, and I fell in love with Anne! I read through the series again last fall or winter. I loved how she adored books like I do! Anne of Green Gables is a classic series that every homeschooler should read if they haven't yet!


10. Sarah, Plain, and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

I read these as a kid, and my Mom read these to my sisters. We love the Sarah, Plain, and Tall series! We also enjoyed the movies that were made based on the first 3 books. When we need a good rainy day movie, we pull them out. They are short books, but they are excellently written! I highly recommend them for a read aloud!

2 comments:

  1. I have read most of those but my faces are 1, 2, and 9!!! Have you ever heard of the Grandma's Attic books? It's another series a lot of home-schoolers read ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have!! I love that series!! I debated whether or not to do it! :~)

      Delete