Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Purposeful Pain


Recently, I've been getting some nasty knots in my back due to work. Usually they're in my shoulders, so after a few days of stiffness, and if I remember, I'll ask John to rub them out for me. Sometimes it just needs a little rubbing, and other times it needs quite a bit more. After all is said and done, my shoulders are relaxed, my back feels better, & my neck as well. I'm very thankful for John removing the knots. The pain from rubbing out the knots can be nothing, or rather intense. Occasionally I will squeeze his other hand to death so he can keep going. I know deep down that if I just wait until he is all done, I know that I'll feel right as rain again.

Now, keeping that in mind, why do I forget that important truth when God does the same thing? 1 Peter 4:12-13 (ESV) says "Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed." The painful trials we may face in our life, whether it's a paper cut or a deep wound, God will work it out the rest of the way. Sometimes we just need to have patience and wait it out. Sometimes we just need to squeeze his hand and cast our cares* upon Him. I encourage you today to remember this as you go about the rest of your day and into your week. You may be going through something painful, but it's for a time, and God will work out those knots the rest of the way for your good!

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." - Romans 8:28 (ESV)


*Isaiah 41:13 and Psalm 55:22

No comments:

Post a Comment