Thursday, July 21, 2016

Why do I headcover?

(sporting a new one I purchased recently)

I have blogged in the past about my reasons for wearing skirts (you can read them here and here), & now I'd like to blog about my reasons for wearing a simple headcovering. I've been led to do so for many years, but it wasn't until a year and a half ago that I began to do so all the time. Every time someone wishes to discuss this, they go straight to 1 Corinthians 11:1-16. I encourage you to read it, although I will not be using that passage. Instead I will be using Ephesians 5:21-24.

Ephesians 5:21-24 (ESV)
"...Submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands."

I wear my headcovering to show I am under the authority of my parents, my beau, and more importantly, the Lord. I am quite stubborn by nature, and several times God has reminded me of my headcovering & why I wear it, which changes my attitude. Am I flawless at this? By no means. I am still a sinner saved by grace, but it is an action that I can do to let those with authority over me, lead me when that needs to happen. Now I listed three people with authority over me spiritually. My father and mother, & my beau (aka boyfriend, but in this case beau is a better term to use). As I am still in my parents' household, I honor their spiritual wisdom and discernment. My beau John, however, may make you raise an eyebrow. 

We are simply dating, & we are not engaged. Why would I list him? Simply because I know someday I will marry him & will then be under his headship. By covering my head, I submit to his authority as I regard him as the leader in our relationship. We work together, but he has final say, even regarding ideas or opinions that I may have. I value and trust his decisions in leading us. It's not easy some days as the Enemy gets to us, but it is worth it in the end. God's ways and plans are much better than my own.

I encourage you to read the various verses with the words submit and submission if you so desire to pursue it. I hope you understand why I cover my head. It is simply in reverence and submission to my glorious King!



No comments:

Post a Comment