Sunday, October 22, 2017

A Letter to Married Couples


Dear Married Couples of Many Years,

Love. Something we share every day. As we begin to make plans for our wedding, and marriage, love is constantly "in the air". I find myself watching other couples enjoy each other and their married life. I used to watch the young ones, the ones who were just married, but more and more I find myself watching you. The ones who've been married for decades upon decades.

Has it been easy? Hardly! Yet you've stuck together through it all. Some of my favorite couples at work have been like this, and they enjoy each other's company. They come have coffee and chat for an hour before going out about their day. One of my favorite couples from church came in for a waffle cone (and lunch!) the other day. Feeling inspired about my waffle cone post, they headed out for a tasty treat.

I loved watching them. Always giving each other their full attention. Holding hands; putting her arm around his waist; sharing an ice cream cone; enjoying the front porch bench. Same at church, he plays the piano and she smiles wide as she closes her eyes to listen to him. He always makes sure she is taken care off. Always looking out for one another. Just being together. It is beautiful.


John has learned that quality time is one of my favorite things. I can tell I'm loved when he just sits there on the couch with me while we watch a movie, or play a game, or I read a book. That's when we have a thought or a question come to mind that spirals into a deep conversation. Some of the time we just figure out how to resolve an issue, or what we can do that is best beneficial to the other.

Love is a subject you could never write enough about. There are not enough words in the heavens to cover all the aspects and facets of love. This is a snapshot of love, the love I'm excited to share with John. Knowing in the life ahead it'll be hard, but every night when the day is done, we can end it by being together. Remembering the love we share by God's grace and glory.

So thank you to you, the older couples I see daily, weekly, monthly, or even once a year. Your love for each other is shown through the time you spend together. I see it in your eyes for your spouse. I see it in the way you put your arm around the other during service, in line, for no reason except to say "I'm here and I love you."

Thank you for your example,

Moriah

"And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God."
Philippians 1:9-11

3 comments:

  1. Hey Moriah! This is Meaghan. Walt & peg's granddaughter! Appreciate your article. They're the cutest & an inspiration to all. As a child I'd stay with them for a week during the summer. My favorite is how they leave eachother adorable little love notes on the whiteboard. After 8 children, many grandchildren, now great-grandchildren, and 63 years of marriage!!!! They're love only grows as our family does. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've always loved them 😊❤

      Delete
  2. So do Uncle Dave and I qualify as an older couple or a newly married couple? After 35 years, it still seems like only last year that we got married. Holding hand wherever we go is still important to us. I realized a few years ago that we are one of the few couples our age that still hold hands...I wondered when the others stopped.....when children came in-between? One has to work to protect the bonds that hold you together....because it can slip away, unnoticed.....

    ReplyDelete