Thursday, February 13, 2014

Valentine's Day Short Story #4


*All stories are fiction for friends. Any resemblance to people, places, or events are purely coincidental!

A Truce Between 2 Hearts


1 Corinthians 13:7
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

January 6th, What a joyous day! The 12th day of Christmas! Sir Matthias raised a toast at supper for the wonderful year ahead of us! He and my father, the King, have been trying to keep the spirits of the people high, as there are rumors of war with the neighboring kingdom. Enough dreariness, lets talk about the celebrations! We danced, sang, played games, exchanged presents, and watched pantomimes. There were goodies of various kinds, ices, and cakes! Oh, so many wonderful things happened today! I hope the rumors of war are only a rumor. 

January 10th, With the season of Christmas behind us, the dreary daily duties have returned. "Charlotte do this." and "Charlotte do that." are the only things I hear. Studying upon studying makes one quite bored. As a princess, I must do these things, but now as I am getting older, I should start focusing on other things instead of studying. Someday I'll be queen, and there are so many things I haven't learned yet! Alas, my tutors think I've learned all those things. I must speak to Papa about this soon. With the rumors of war, I don't think it will be any time soon though!

January 15th, War has been declared. From my ability to eavesdrop without being seen, I've discovered that it is over something as simple as the border of our kingdom and the border of their kingdom. Reading through my books has led me to believe that there has been a dispute for the border for the past 2 centuries! I suppose the war will break up the dreariness of the winter, but it's not the wisest time to fight with the cold and snow. Blizzards can occur any time without warning. My greatest fear is for the safety of Papa, and my betrothed, Sir Matthias. 

January 19th, Papa and Matthias are off to war with all the troops they could muster at such a short notice. The past few days have been filled with bitter cold winds, and blizzards so fierce that one could get lost. My days are spent with worry. Thankfully Papa said I needn't study during this time, so I have been collecting bandages and blankets. I've also made sure that there are food wagons being sent to the camp where Papa is, every day. It wouldn't do to have them starve. At least they can have fresh bread, cheese, meat, and apples. 

January 21st, From what I've heard, this has been a messy battle. No one wants to surrender to the other, and no one wants to call a truce. I'm trying my best to bear my duties cheerfully out of love for my Papa, but sometimes it's just difficult. I'm also having a hard believing that Sir Matthias is safe. Papa too, for that matter. I'm trying to keep my hope up so we can endure these things. I'm concerned about the peasants down near the village by the fighting. I'm praying that all the young children and the old folk are safe, sound and well.

January 25th, What trial they are facing! They've called counsel many times, yet they haven't been able to call a truce. It breaks my heart the numbers of soldiers that have died so far, whether on our side, or theirs. It's all over a simple border, the easiest thing to do, would be to look up the maps dating back to when the trouble first started. Wait, that would be a good idea! I must pen a letter to Sir Matthias and Papa at once! I hope that this will help! I must find out when the next wagon is headed to Papa's camp. Maybe I should take it myself. We'll see.

January 31st, I am at Papa's camp. Sir Matthias was impressed with my thoughts on the matter, so I am now awaiting for the counsel tomorrow afternoon. Papa sent for the maps and my things. So here I wait, amongst soldiers, tents, and weapons. Actually, I'm sitting next to Papa's tent. His is the most "fitting for a young lady". I'm surprised he hasn't sent me back to the palace, as I am his only heir. As there is a blizzard approaching, I must take cover.

February 3rd, I presented the maps, and King Oscar II of the neighboring kingdom is conferring with his counsel. Thankfully the soldiers haven't been fighting as often. Most of it was plundering each others camps, but still there is no need. Papa has been most gracious over the matter, and it's been a learning experience for both of us. I've learned some things about being a ruler that I never knew from books and tutors. I've also learnt more about Sir Matthias. He has a heart of gold, and he's as gentle as a lamb.

February 8th, The counsel of King Oscar II has finally made up their minds. We have declared a truce. Papa and King Oscar II shook hands on the matter to seal the deal. The original border has been instilled. I wish I could thank the thoughtful wise men who kept these maps in the royal library. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't be able to have settled this so simply. Sir Matthias was so happy that he came bounding into camp on his white horse, and stopped right in front of me. He jumped off his horse and gave me a kiss. Everyone has been celebrating!

February 14th, Sir Matthias asked Papa's blessing for us to be married on the day of my last entry. So today, St. Valentine's day, we shall be joined as one in holy matrimony. My ladies in waiting are pressing my dress for my wedding. King Oscar II has come with his court to celebrate with ours. Many of the people from the village are also invited to come and celebrate. This is more than a celebration of a wedding, this is a celebration of kingdoms choosing peace! What a joyous day this is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment