Friday, December 6, 2013

Scars, Callouses, and Christmas



I have many physical scars. Most of them from the cats. I have them on my legs, my feet, my hands, my arms, and one on my right shoulder. Each of them has a story. For example the one on my shoulder is from when I was four and squishing the cat too much. I have a very faint scar on my wrist from a spurt of boiling applesauce this past fall. And I have numerous ones on my hands that are faint from picking up our cats.

I also have many callouses. The soles of me feet, my heels, my hands, my ankles, my knees and my elbows. The ones on my feet are from dancing. They've built up over the years to protect my feet from blisters. And the ones on my knees and elbows help protect me. For example if I was on the floor crawling with kids, my knees wouldn't be injured, they'd be protected. But the callouses don't always work for me. Two summers ago I was injuring my feet constantly. From a thistle, a shell, and numerous splinters; I wasn't building an immunity. My feet literally had to be re-calloused.

That's how it is at Christmas. We have the broken people full of scars from past life, those who've calloused themselves against the world and sin, and then those who have to start afresh. Ever since I've been thinking and getting ready for Christmas, I knew this Christmas is going to be different. It took me a while to put my finger on it, but then I realized it is because I've grown.

Every year, for as long as I can remember, from July 'till Christmas I'd work and make Christmas presents. This year I haven't. I went to CYIA training, then we went camping, then we had the rabid fox attack, and then school started. In the busyness I simply didn't think about Christmas presents. I didn't think about what I'd give or what I'd get.

I know why we celebrate Christmas. We celebrate the birth of Jesus. Jesus who is the only Savior. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Without him, we would never be saved from our sins. That's why he was born. To save those who are broken and full of scars from past life, those who have calloused themselves against the world , sin, and sometimes even God, and then those who are ready to start life afresh.

But sometimes in the hustle and bustle of a busy day, we forget the real purpose of Christmas. And that's when we need to step back, take a deep breath, and read the story of Christmas. I picked up a Bible, the other evening and said "God, I don't know what you want me to read. Show me what you want me to learn." I opened the Bible to Mark 13. I started in the middle of the chapter and just read. I read about the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. And then I came to the end of the book, the last verses of Mark 16. As I flipped the page and finished the verses, I looked to the next page. "The Gospel According to Luke". I caught my breath.

Slowly I started reading Luke chapter 1-2. The "magic" of Christmas is not the lights, the presents, and all the fun. The "magic" is that Jesus cared so much he came to earth as a wee babe. When I read that, I knew why Christmas is different this year. I've been focusing so much on all the presents I was going to give, that I forgot the real reason. Now I know exactly why we celebrate Christmas. I've always known it, but never thought about it that much.

We celebrate the birth of Jesus. Jesus who is the only Savior. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Without him, we would never be saved from our sins. That's why he was born. To save those who are broken and full of scars from past life, those who have calloused themselves against the world , sin, and sometimes even God, and then those who are ready to start life afresh. Are you ready to celebrate Christmas with me?

2 comments:

  1. I loved this & your photos & carols for December. Somewhere in the book of Revelations, it talks about "a lamb, looking as if it had been slain". I heard a song once about scars being sort of a victory symbol in heaven because of this description. From FAR link up, love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment! I do recall a verse in there. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

      Delete