Monday, September 1, 2014

Friendships Forged with Time

I like 2 of the definitions of the New Webster's Dictionary, one says to form by heating or hammering, and the other says to move forward slowly = Forge.


Friendships are so special to me. Some friends I've known since I was knee-high, others for the past few years, and yet others I've met with in the past year. Each friend is special, and each friendship is different, but a common is that no matter how long I've known them, they've been forged with time. When I read about heating and hammering, my thoughts immediately flew to Proverbs 27:17.

Proverbs 27:17 (ESV)
Iron sharpens iron,
    and one man sharpens another.

How true! My one friend and I constantly keep each other on our toes. She knows how to tell me truthfully what's best, and I do the same for her. We keep each other sharp, and focused. By doing so, our friendship has been forged, sharpened, and grown. In fact for my birthday, she gave me a plaque that says: 

"Friendship is like sunshine. It keeps us warm and helps us grow."

The definition of friend (according to the New Webster's Dictionary) is a person known and well liked by another. My personal definition of a friend is someone who appreciates you for who you are; who will stand by you, and you for them; never leaving for frivolous things; and who is always honest with you.


Recently, I noticed another friend was online, so I messaged him to find out how he was, as I hadn't heard much from him. To be honest, at the time, I was bone-tired, yet when he said he was exhausted, it gave me a boost. Though I was exhausted, I was able to show empathy. I have a quote I keep in my Bible that says it best:

"You need people to hold you up emotionally and encourage you. By doing this, you will be strengthened, and they will be strengthened."

 I have a friend, who compared to my first-mentioned friend, I haven't known as long. She's battled many health problems, yet is always ready to pray for you, even if she needs prayer more. She has unknowingly showed me the verse below in tangible ways.

Philippians 2:4 (ESV)
Let each of you look not only to his own interests, 
but also to the interests of others.

Many many friendships have been forged and strengthened. Each one is special because each one has been forged in different ways. In order to have a deep and meaningful friendship, you need to invest in others. Find out how they are doing, what they've been up to, and how you can pray for them. This goes both ways. You also need to be open about what is going on in your life, things you are struggling with, etc. Quite often my friends have struggled with something similar, so they are able to reach out to for pray and comfort me, and I for them. Friendships are very important to me, and as they are forged, strengthened, and withstand the passing of time, then I know I have special friendships indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment