Monday, November 24, 2014

The Pleiades

 (Picture credit goes to my Dad. Taken a few years ago)


Every winter, since I was a little girl, I would scan the winter sky for the Pleiades. 

 Every year I'd search until I found them. 

Today I found them in the night sky, and I'm still amazed that yet it's such a tiny constellation, they're mentioned 3 times in the Bible.

Job 9:9 (ESV)
Who made the Bear and Orion, the Pleiades and the chambers of the south.

Job 38:31 (ESV)
Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades or loose the cords of Orion?

Amos 5:8 (ESV)
He who made the Pleiades and Orion, and turns deep darkness into the morning and darkens the day into night, who calls for the waters of the sea and pours them out on the surface of the earth, the Lord is his name.

From here, they seem so small, yet they are stars which are a clear indication they aren't. 

Stars fascinate me. 

I could look at them for hours. 

While the Pleiades may not be one of the larger constellations, or more important ones, they're always there. 

Year after year. 

For centuries.

It leaves me in awe.

Psalm 147:4 (ESV)
He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names

Isaiah 40:26 (ESV)
Lift up your eyes on high and see:
    who created these?
He who brings out their host by number,
    calling them all by name,
by the greatness of his might,
    and because he is strong in power
    not one is missing.

The stars were created by an Almighty God.

When I see what he has made, I'm in awe of his power.

God is good.

Thank you God for making the stars!

1 Timothy 4:4-5 (ESV)
 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment