Friday, August 12, 2016

The Golden Rule (a guest post)


{John S.}

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the law and the prophets” (Matthew 7:12)
I’m sure many of you reading this know of this verse or have at least heard this saying sometime in your life. However at least I have found this to be one of those extremely tough verses to follow. I mean naturally our response to someone we don’t like or someone who has harmed us is to try to get even. However, when you read this verse it never discriminates against anyone. It just says others. That means anyone and everyone. When deciding on what to write for this post the first thing that popped into my mind was our society today and all the nonsense that the news keeps broadcasting. Everything from the major issue of racism to the push for homosexual rights all across the world. The general tone of the media is hatred towards people you don’t like. However we as people like to look at the big issues that seem so distant from us. However this verse is so important to our daily lives as believers. I know I’ve been on a few outreach trips through my local church. One particular thing me and my group did was go to Clinton Square in the city of Syracuse, New York and hand out free bottles of water to people who walked by. We didn’t sit there with signs protesting and we didn’t even push the gospel into people’s faces unless they asked about it. The whole time we were there most of the people that took the water were confused as to why we did this. In a world so filled with hate and bigotry showing a small bit of selfless kindness was foreign to most people. In fact a number of people took one look at us and went out of their way to avoid us, even going as far as to walk blocks out of there way just so they didn’t have to hear the message that they assumed we were saying. I can’t begin to say how many times I have seen Christians or “Christians” stand on street corners with megaphones and just shouting out the gospel for the world to hear. Which normally according to the Bible would be good, however when they do it and someone comes to cause trouble they lash out and yell at them and get angry. They show complete disregard for this very well, known passage and for the other teachings of Christ that say to show love and to not respond with hatred towards those who seek you harm. Luke 10:25-37 now this passage I’m sure a number of you have heard before. If you can’t quite remember it’s the story of the Good Samaritan. Here Jesus illustrates the point I’m trying to make better than I ever could. To love those who need it even if those people hate you for no good reason. So to all who read this keep this little thing in the back of your mind. Be kind and loving to everyone around you. I know people can be ridiculous and annoying and mean. However when that little voice in your head tells you to snap and get angry with someone remember this beautiful promise to help you fight that urge.
Philippians 4:13
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

-------------------------

John Schairer is an amazing boyfriend (although I'm biased), a strong man of faith, and a wonderful friend (and again, I'm biased)! He's going to Clark Summit University to become a pastor, a call he has had for many years!

No comments:

Post a Comment