Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Safe in Strong Arms

We like to feel safe. We like to know who we can trust and who we are safe with. We usually feel the safest in strong loving arms.


This past week in Sunday School, a little girl in the class I work with, told us a story when we were talking about trust and trust falls. She recounted her tale with shining eyes how her big strong brother would always catch her if she did one with him. She had so much trust in his strong safe arms. She knew that he would always be willing to protect and take care of her.

My sisters personally like being in safe in Daddy's arms. Every day before he goes to work and when he comes home, they clamor for hugs. Sometimes they ask for two or three because they love getting a great big bear hug from Daddy!

One day when they were getting hugs, I thought I'd like one too! So I went up to my Dad and he picked me up, giving me a great big hug. That day shall always be a memory for me. In fact, the day he did that, I wrote the following poem:

Sweet Daddy of Mine
He gives them all a hug goodbye,
as he heads out the door. 
As he turns around he sees me, 
standing in the middle of the dining room floor.

He gives me a great big hug,
and whispers in my ear:
"You have grown to be such a young lady,
with the passing of each year."

He jokes I've gotten way too big,
so I say he should shrink me.
He puts his hand behind my shoulders,
and puts his other behind my knee.

He holds me in his arms,
the moment marked in time.
Then he sets me down,
this moment now etched in rhyme.


I personally love getting hugs from my friends and family. I feel safe and loved in their arms. As I pondered these things, I realized how awesome it is to be safe and be able to trust in God's strong arms. I pursued the topic a bit, and came across the following verses.

Jeremiah 17:7 (ESV)
Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord,
    whose trust is the Lord.


Isaiah 26:4 (ESV)

Trust in the Lord forever,
    for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.


Proverbs 3:5-6 (ESV)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
    and do not lean on your own understanding.

In all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make straight your paths.

Psalm 118:8 (ESV)
It is better to take refuge in the Lord
    than to trust in man.

Knowing that I can put my trust in God's safe strong arms, I feel safe! I know He will protect me through the good times and the bad. If I go through a trial-filled time, then who can I turn to? God! I know He's always there for me. I can put my complete trust in Him.


Hebrews 13:6 (ESV)

So we can confidently say,
“The Lord is my helper;
I will not fear;
what can man do to me?”

No comments:

Post a Comment